Henry's Cottage
10 Henry Hill Road
Taupo
NEW ZEALAND

stay@henryscottage.co.nz

map

[+] Hover cursor and click for Map


Destination Lake Taupo

The History

In 1947 Gordon Palmer from Hawke's Bay and his son-in-law Sid came across the disposal sale of several small huts in Reporoa previously used to house conscientious objectors from World War 2. Four of these huts were pulled apart, transported to Taupo and put together to form the original family bach on the section Gordon had purchased in 1946. Henry Hill Road was a newly formed pumice track that had been part of the Clark Estate. Sid with the help of a carpenter completed the bach using heart matai flooring dated at 400 years old, heart rimu approx 700 years old and various other timbers from the area.

frontFrom 1950 to 1971 the family continued to enjoy holidays in Taupo and with the arrival of electricity in 1952 Taupo was coming of age. By 1971 it became obvious that the cottage was too small for the now extended family.

Gordon Palmer commissioned John Scott to design a dwelling to complement the original bach with 2 levels to capture the disappearing view and to provide a more comfortable indoor toilet and bathroom.

'Stanley' the outdoor loo still stands today but has been updated to include a 'modern' flush loo connected to the sewerage scheme. Matai flooring from the Mohaka area was used and the large black beams were taken from timber felled in the Rangitikei area. After considerable difficulty with design and ongoing complaints from neighbours regarding the new dwelling Henry's Cottage was finally completed in 1972.

backFrom 1972 – 2001 extended family continued to enjoy wonderful family holidays in Taupo. By 2001 it was apparent that busy modern lifestyles were taking their toll on regular holidays in Taupo. The family reluctantly decided to offer the property for sale for the first time.

Now Henry's Cottage can by enjoyed by you for your own family holidays or a relaxing weekend for couples or friends.